Experimental Rendering - Blog2019-12-18
We're playing around with a new experimental rendering tool.
This one doesn't have a name yet, but if it plays out well enough, it'll join them.
This is a short preview of what the tool is capable of, right now:
Each individual frame, if you pause the video, actually has shockingly low quality. However, thanks to some of the effects and the way the human eye behaves when it views them, the viewer isn't generally aware just how shocking the quality is. In fact, they may even perceive it to be a quality that is acceptable, above and beyond what each frame represents.
Part of this is the sketching effect. Horizontal lines have a large amount of strange effects on the human eye, causing it to stop processing information it should be, and causing the brain to pick up the slack with a bit of imagination. That's oversimplifying, but that's the general idea.
Part of it is the constant motion. Different details are lost in each frame, and the brain will remember some of them between frames, and thanks to the blur, fill in the gaps for you.
There's still some work to be done.
At the moment, if we were to try rendering a single 2 hour film with this technique, we'd be waiting around for 150 days. That's an inordinate amount of time in post-processing, and isn't really acceptable. We have some ideas or how to speed it up, and so we'll be working on that.
- 2021-01-08 Playlists
- 2020-10-24 Return of Service
- 2020-10-16 Enhanced Audio and Upload Delays
- 2020-09-10 Experimental Interface
- 2020-06-26 Gunsmith Hits HD
- 2020-06-11 Creating Something From Nothing
- 2020-03-18 Filmscope Progress
- 2020-03-10 2019 Releases
- 2020-03-05 Downtime Postmortem
- 2020-02-12 Temporary Signup Problems
- 2020-02-12 Statistics
- 2020-02-01 Search Regression
- 2020-02-01 High Load DDoS Attack
- 2020-01-30 The Phantom reCreeps
- 2020-01-25 Simple is Best
- 2020-01-06 New Features
- 2020-01-04 Displaying Credit
- 2019-12-29 Performance Enhancements
- 2019-12-18 Experimental Rendering
- 2019-12-10 MPV Support
- 2019-12-03 Introducing Filmscope
- 2019-11-21 DDoS Attack
- 2019-11-20 Security Report
- 2019-11-20 Report
- 2019-10-21 The World of Preservation
- 2019-10-15 Endless Battle For Quality
- 2019-10-06 Giving Back
- 2019-10-02 What's in a Cookie?
- 2019-10-01 PGP
- 2019-09-28 SIXTEENmm