DDoS Attack - Blog2019-11-21
It seems our Security Report interested somebody, because early this morning alarms began going off.
2019-11-21 00:12AM - Several thousand simultaneous attempts to login to the server.
2019-11-21 00:13AM - The server sent a phone call, waking up staff.
2019-11-21 00:21AM - The server cut off external contact (apart from the website) in self-defense. This happens after 1 million failed attempts within 10 minutes.
2019-11-21 00:30AM - Remote access to the server is restored.
Looking at the list of attackers we found that they were mostly compromised servers. This isn't unusual - why pay to swarm a target when you can just make use of someone else's server?
All of these attacks targetted either the root user or a user that doesn't exist on our server. The root user is not accessible to remote login on the server, making this attack large-scale but completely ineffective.
All attacking IP addresses were automatically banned.
There was no downtime for the site associated with this attack.
- 2021-01-08 Playlists
- 2020-10-24 Return of Service
- 2020-10-16 Enhanced Audio and Upload Delays
- 2020-09-10 Experimental Interface
- 2020-06-26 Gunsmith Hits HD
- 2020-06-11 Creating Something From Nothing
- 2020-03-18 Filmscope Progress
- 2020-03-10 2019 Releases
- 2020-03-05 Downtime Postmortem
- 2020-02-12 Temporary Signup Problems
- 2020-02-12 Statistics
- 2020-02-01 Search Regression
- 2020-02-01 High Load DDoS Attack
- 2020-01-30 The Phantom reCreeps
- 2020-01-25 Simple is Best
- 2020-01-06 New Features
- 2020-01-04 Displaying Credit
- 2019-12-29 Performance Enhancements
- 2019-12-18 Experimental Rendering
- 2019-12-10 MPV Support
- 2019-12-03 Introducing Filmscope
- 2019-11-21 DDoS Attack
- 2019-11-20 Security Report
- 2019-11-20 Report
- 2019-10-21 The World of Preservation
- 2019-10-15 Endless Battle For Quality
- 2019-10-06 Giving Back
- 2019-10-02 What's in a Cookie?
- 2019-10-01 PGP
- 2019-09-28 SIXTEENmm