Giving Back - Blog2019-10-06
We have a number of exclusives that we've created. These films often take months to put together, and involve a high level of R&D, each one building on the work of the previous... But they wouldn't be possible without the creative forces of those who created the films that we've restored and/or colorized.
The current copyright situation is nothing short of insane, the world over.
Films might remain copyright'd and out of the public eye for 70 years after the last person involved with them has died. This prevents the work from being easily enjoyed by the public, and it prevents one creative work from being allowed to inspire another.
In short, this is a terrible situation that kills creativity, something the film industry sorely needs more of.
So, even though exclusives are one of the value adds we use to sell ourselves, they aren't always "exclusive" to SIXTEENmm anymore.
However, we've done a few more films since then, some with more or less cultural significance.
Today, we're releasing two more back to the public.
You'll be able to find The Story of the Kelly Gang over here at the Internet Archive. This is quite possibly the world's first feature-length film, or it was before it was damaged. So few copies exist now, that the best-quality cut together we could make features water, fire and radiation damage. It's only 20 minutes of the hour-long feature.
- 2021-03-10 Sherlock in Color
- 2021-01-08 Playlists
- 2020-10-24 Return of Service
- 2020-10-16 Enhanced Audio and Upload Delays
- 2020-09-10 Experimental Interface
- 2020-06-26 Gunsmith Hits HD
- 2020-06-11 Creating Something From Nothing
- 2020-03-18 Filmscope Progress
- 2020-03-10 2019 Releases
- 2020-03-05 Downtime Postmortem
- 2020-02-12 Temporary Signup Problems
- 2020-02-12 Statistics
- 2020-02-01 Search Regression
- 2020-02-01 High Load DDoS Attack
- 2020-01-30 The Phantom reCreeps
- 2020-01-25 Simple is Best
- 2020-01-06 New Features
- 2020-01-04 Displaying Credit
- 2019-12-29 Performance Enhancements
- 2019-12-18 Experimental Rendering
- 2019-12-10 MPV Support
- 2019-12-03 Introducing Filmscope
- 2019-11-21 DDoS Attack
- 2019-11-20 Security Report
- 2019-11-20 Report
- 2019-10-21 The World of Preservation
- 2019-10-15 Endless Battle For Quality
- 2019-10-06 Giving Back
- 2019-10-02 What's in a Cookie?
- 2019-10-01 PGP
- 2019-09-28 SIXTEENmm